Assignments, Videos, Recordings, and Music Posted on Google Classroom
All assignments, materials, and posts for Elementary Orchestra will be through our Google Classroom.
1. Go to Classroom.google.com and sign in using your Nyack Schools account.
2. Select "Join a Class"
3. Enter the class code for your class
Grade 5 Class Code: naeiy66
Grade 4 (Coming Soon)
Grade 4 Orchestra
Stay tuned for more information about GRADE 4 ORCHESTRA lessons.
We will have information about signing up for Violin, Viola, Cello or Bass lessons soon.
This year, Orchestra students will receive one "ZOOM" or in person lesson a week, during a pull out period in the school day.
Videos, music and other resources will be posted weekly on Google Classroom.
Look for a sign up to come home in the second week of school!
Grade 5 Orchestra Tips for a Successful year!
OBTAIN AN INSTRUMENT and supplies
- We recommend contacting NEMC.com or Rockland Music for instrument rentals. The district has a limited number of scholarship instruments for students who receive free or reduced lunch.
- Average size Grade 5 students are ¾ size. Contact me if you have questions about instrument sizing.
- Please DO NOT PURCHASE INEXPENSIVE INSTRUMENTS ONLINE! They will break easily and be difficult to play.
- Buy a folding MUSIC STAND.
- Buy Essential Elements Book 1 for your instrument. Some instrument rentals include the book.
SCHEDULE TWO DAYS for playing an instrument at home
Students have one lesson a week in school or on ZOOM. Designate at least two days a week where your child will play his/her instrument. Keep the time to 10 minutes at first.
Buying vs. Renting an instrument
There are many instruments available on-line and in department stores for low prices. While these deals may seem attractive, they are usually not of the quality that will allow your child to succeed. These types of instruments often cost more money to repair when they break than their original purchase price.Inexpensive instruments do not hold tuning, they break easily, they do not have a good sound, and they are difficult to play. Young students require a larger size of instrument once or twice a year until they are in middle school.It is important for your child to have the right tools to learn with during their first year. If you are thinking about making a purchase, please talk with me first.
The String Orchestra has 4 different instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass
Video of Violin and Cello: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQPBBsawGTk
Double Bass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJNcDhLcr5A
Shake it Off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlzEHobggRs
FROM THE TOP: Radio show featuring amazing kids playing instruments: https://www.fromthetop.org/watch/