There will be a Special Meeting for the Nyack Board of Education with District Equity Consultant, Joyce James, on Friday, Jan. 11 at 5:30pm
This will be a BOE Workshop and will take place in the BOE Room, Hilltop Bldg. at 13A Dickinson Ave.
CSE and CPSE Contact Information
Chairperson for the Committee on Special Education (CSE)
Chairperson for the Committees on Pre-School Special Education and Special Education (CPSE/CSE)
Pre-School to Grade 5
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who will be testing my child? Your child will be evaluated by district professional personnel and will receive at least Psychological and an Educational evaluations.
2. Do I get the chance to see the reports before the meeting? Reports are to be shared with Parents prior to the Committee meeting.
3. Who will be at the CSE meeting? The Committee is comprised of the Chairperson, a School Psychologist, a General Education Teacher, a Special Education Teacher, Parent(s), Parent Member and other people who possess knowledge or special expertise regarding the student- including related services personnel as appropriate.
4. What if I don't agree with the Committee's decision? Should your concerns not be resolved through the Committee, or informally through discussions with the District, Special Education Mediation, a voluntary process is available. You have a right to request, in writing, timely mediation run by a qualified and impartial mediator. Should mediation fail to resolve the issue, you have the right to request an Impartial Hearing. Additional information on Mediation and Due Process Proceedings can be found in "Special Education in New York State for Children Ages 3-21: A Parent's Guide" which is provided to all parents of students referred to the CSE. This publication is available at www.vesid.nysed.gov (use our link to this website).
5. Can I bring other people to my meeting? Parents may bring additional people to the Committee meeting. The district asks for prior notice to ensure sufficient space, seating or technical support are available. If a parent brings legal representation without advanced notice, the CSE may be postponed so that the school district may also arrange for representation.
6. How long will it take to do the evaluations? Regulations require evaluations and initial eligibility determination to take place within 60 calendar days of receipt of parental consent for evaluation. Evaluations are completed as soon as possible once parental consent is received.
7. What if I bring a doctor’s note that says my child needs services? Information from physicians regarding your child's medical status will be considered along with other documentation at the Committee meeting. This information should be submitted to the Special Education Office in advance of the scheduled meeting.
8. Where can I find out more about the process and the laws that govern Special Education? You can access information regarding the Special Education process and regulations at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/formsnotices/psgn/PSGN-April2014.pdf (use our link to this website).
9. Will my child ever be reevaluated to "test out" of Special Education? The process includes required reevaluation every three years for students classified with a disability. This Reevaluation Review may be requested anytime should there be a need to consider declassification.
10.Who should I contact if my child is struggling and may be in need of services? Your child's school can provide information regarding support available through regular education. Should you wish to access the Special Education process, please contact the specific Chairperson of the Committee on Special Education.
11. What help is available to students who are not classified with a disability? Nyack Public Schools offers a variety of Academic Intervention Services (AIS), Educationally Related Support Services (ERSS), ELL support services, After School Homework Help, Guidance supports, and Vocational programming opportunities. Please speak with your school's principal or your child's Guidance Counselor regarding available programs.